Sunday, October 27, 2013

I should be a London tour guide already

After spending about four weeks in this city, I officially know more about this place than my friends who live here. Scary, but true. Although the weather has been pretty dreadful, the sun has sporadically shown its rays, and I treasure those moments. Nothing like walking around London with the sun gazing and crispness in the air.

This last week has been wonderful. I've met some fantastic girls my age and we attended several large dinner parties and events. For some reason everyone was drawn to me when they heard my American accent. I guess this is a universal occurrence as we react similarly in the states upon meeting a foreigner. But the attention was kind of cool nonetheless! I've also gone on some really fun dates and have some planned throughout the rest of my journey. Very much looking forward to that...!!

I did forget to mention that I saw Book of Mormon two weeks ago. The hype is all true people. It ROCKED and my cheeks actually hurt afterwards from the constant smiling and continuous laughter that ensued. I cannot recommend it enough...run to see it!

After reading about the National Gallery's current exhibit - "Facing the Modern: The Portrait in Vienna in 1900" - I had to visit, especially upon learning about the exhibition's centerpiece, an unfinished portrait by Gustav Klimt of Amalie Zuckerkandl. He was working on it when he died in 1918. This piece is loot stolen by the Nazis, and Amalie herself is a Nazi victim. Read about it - very interesting:




http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/nazi-loot-is-in-major-national-gallery-show-8891813.html

Thursday was a highlight for sure. The couple who own the flat I'm renting thought I'd enjoy meeting their friend Julian for a drink at the private House of Parliament bar. Um yes please! Julian is an architect for the House of Commons and has special access to the Parliament grounds. Before I met him outside for the security search, I snapped some photos of my friend Ben and his sister Abbey at dusk.




Since the MPs (members of Parliament) depart on Thursday nights for the weekend, Julian was able to give me a private tour. No photos are allowed inside, so I'm including some images from the web. We first entered Westminster Hall, the oldest building in Parliament, commencing in 1097 and completed in the late 1300s. The awe-inspiring hammer-beam roof was installed in 1393 and the timbers alone weigh 660 tons. The Queen, Pope and most heads of state have stood on these steps to address both houses of Parliament.



Next, we stepped in the Central Lobby, which is the core of Parliament and was designed as a meeting place for both houses and for constituents to lobby their MPs. The Victorian architecture is exquisite and ornate. The chandelier is just unreal in person.



Finally, we visited both the House of Commons and House of Lords' chambers. The House of Commons MPs are elected and House of Lords are appointed (it used to be hereditary so most House of Lords MPs have spent several decades in Parliament). House of Lords don't have much power these days but they can slow down the House of Commons agenda. Hmm...sound familiar?



House of Commons chamber isn't that large or fancy. The two parties sit opposite each other to debate and cannot cross the red lines (2.5 meters apart, intended to be just over two sword-lengths). The chambers can only accommodate 427 of the 650 MPs, so late arrivals must stand. Early bird catches the worm really applies here ;)

And then we entered the House of Lords. Man, what a difference.


The State Opening of Parliament occurs here twice per year, including the Queen's speech from the gold throne. Although the Queen reads the speech, it's written by the government. The Queen arrives and proceeds to the robing room to change into her Imperial State Crown and Robe of State.





I just found the whole thing really cool. We then had a drink in Strangers bar with some other Parliament employees and members of the press. Here's the view sitting along the Thames:


Julian asked if I'd like to grab some Indian food after our drink, and in any other instance, I would have politely declined. I had been walking around the city since 9am and was beyond exhausted. But my motto on this trip is: "Say Yes!" So I had to say yes. Well, I've never been more thankful for saying yes. We didn't just "grab some Indian food." He had made a reservation at Cinnamon Club. Oh my God. Most upscale Indian restaurant in London. Best meal ever. Tandoori wild Spencer Gulf king prawns with coconut coriander sauce, pandan leaf rice. To this day, I've yet to savor a dish like that.
If you visit London you must eat here:

http://www.cinnamonclub.com/

Yesterday I played tour guide as my friends here have yet to visit Greenwich. We went to Greenwich Market for lunch and walked to Greenwich Park for some foliage and deer time. Heaven.





My adopted family and I sat by the fire at a great pub last night and the girls braided my hair as I drank a Guinness. Pretty great ending to a fantastic week.



I'm bidding London adieu on Wednesday to spend a few days in the country again. Then it's off to Paris! The next time we meet I'll have a croissant in my hands, along with a baguette, some saucisson sec, fromage and vin. Gotta get those sneakers ready...xx jack





3 comments: